Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Invocate Thy Ghost

Richard (Ron Pyle), about to strike,
is haunted by the ghosts of those he murdered.
Last night was our SMART (Sharing Masterworks of Art) program for high schoolers. It was technically our final dress rehearsal. The run of the play was first-rate. I was pleased with every aspect of the production—from tech to acting to audience response. (Hey, if a bunch of high schoolers stay engaged with one of Shakespeare's histories, something's going well.)

I was perhaps most happy with the six "goons" (the guys who move the furniture/props and act as extras). As my wife so aptly put it, "Those goons totally rocked the doors." Which, being interpreted, means that they hit their marks and performed the intricate opening/closing door movements (you'd have to see it to fully appreciate the complexity) with near-perfect precision . . . no small feat, I assure you.

Opening night is now only a day and a half away. Bring it on.

3 comments:

  1. This was my second SMART performance, and hopefully not my last. We enjoy the informal atmosphere (are those peanut shells on the floor?) and the ticket price can't be beat. But my favorite is the Q&A with the cast afterwards. I'm always amazed at the number of actors; that such an immense story can be told by so few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an amazing production of Richard III. Jeffrey Stegall did a fantastic job in eliminating unnecessary verbage and characters that could potentially clutter the performance. My daughters, who are ages 11 and 15, found it to be their favorite Shakespeare production to date. Two weeks after seeing the production I still hear them quote, "Despair and die," at least once a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so encouraging to hear! Theatre is storytelling, so I like making the story accessible and enjoyable. Around our house the most quotable line has been, "I thank God for my humility." Thanks for sharing.

      Delete