Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fain, like Pilate, would I wash my hands

A box for (stage) drowning?
As mentioned previously, Richard III dispatches with a great many of his relatives and friends during the course of the play. (With friends like that . . . ) One of these is his own brother, Clarence.

History is a bit cloudy on the facts about Clarence's death, but it is generally accepted that he died in the Tower having been sent there for treason against his other brother, Edward IV (of the fabulous House of York boys—Edward, Richard, Clarence). Some historians think Clarence was beheaded, but legend has it that he was drowned in a "malmsey-butt," a huge Elizabethan wine vat.

In Shakespeare's play, Clarence pleads for his life with the two men sent to murder him and just as he talks one out of killing him, the other stabs him. And then drowns him. Just for good measure.

So we needed a contraption that would hold water. Enter this 1940s icebox/cooler, perhaps used to store fish on ice. I bought it sight unseen (well, I saw this image) and drove to outside Commerce, GA, early this morning to pick it up. It's smaller than I'd thought from the picture, but I'm sure Jason Waggoner and Dave Vierow can add wheels, etc., and make tit perfect for our stage purposes. Look for it in Act I, Scene 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment